Sunday, January 20, 2008

Avery's 1st Birthday














Well, it seems like it's been Christmas again at our house. Carson had his birthday last Monday and Avery had her 1st birthday yesterday! I can't believe it's been one year since she was born. People used to tell me all the time, "Enjoy every minute because it goes by so fast." I used to think, "yeah, I know" but I'm starting to appreciate that even more as I'm watching my kids grow up and wondering if I'm enjoying everything that I'm supposed to and if I'm appreciating all of the little things and am I missing anything. It seems like every time we go somewhere that I should have a camera, I don't, so I miss those opportunities but I always think, "How could I forget something like this? I'll remember it!" When I get around to writing anything down, I think to myself, "Now what did they say? When was that? How did that go?" Somehow, it's never quite as clear as I think it will be. There are so many things that I never want to forget and I'm really looking forward to making a book from our blog at the end of the year so I can keep all of these fun memories and relive them over and over.

Avery's first year has been very eventful and it's been hard too so I'm really hoping I've been able to enjoy a lot of the little things. Avery is definitely the baby and she has been a total "mama's girl."
Cody thinks it's so funny when I'm holding her and he puts his hand on my shoulder or touches my arm or something and she looks up at him, smiles and very sweetly, removes his hand. It's kind of a game now. I've loved having her want me at night (not really in the middle of the night, but at bedtime:) ) and play with my hair when I'm feeding her. I love when she says "mom, mom, mom" and I love watching her light up when the kids come in the room. I love watching her clap when Cody comes home from work and giving him those big, wet kisses. I love how she has always had a sweet bond with Carson and how he can get her to smile like no one else. I've loved watching Brittany & Bailey fight over who gets to hold her (well, not loving the fighting, just them loving Avery so much they can't stand it) and take her when I need a minute to finish something up or make dinner. Cody thought we were good with 3 kids and I still wasn't sure and now I know why. I'm glad she snuck in there because she definitely completes our family and was meant to be with us. It's funny how some of life's surprises end up being the greatest blessings. She has the sweetest smile and that dimple just melts my heart. She's such a happy baby and I can't imagine life without her. I said it's been a hard year, but I also know that it's made me appreciate all of our blessings even more. We can get through anything as long as we're together! I can't believe she's 1 already, but I know things are just going to get better and better from here. We're looking forward to great things for all the kids and hopefully for our family! Happy Birthday, Avery!!

3 comments:

Audry said...

She's so cute, I can't believe it's been a whole year. But then again Tatum is 8 months. That's really freaking me out. I'm so glad you found me. Tell everyone we said hi. Happy Birthday Avery and Carson!!!

Kyle said...

Avery is a cutie and I love your new background. Look at you--figuring out all this stuff! Now it's easy, you just post every now and then and there's no guilt for not writing in your journal or scrapbooking! I love it!

Trish said...

YEAH!!! I love this blog thing! I loved your Christmas letter as well. It is so good to hear how you guys are doing. I've been sitting here crying - it's just so great to hear from you. Your family is so beautiful!!! Yeah! Take care of YOU!