Our spelling experience is over for now.....although Brittany's already talking about next year! The district spelling bee was tonight and Brittany did really well. There were 21 kids from 4th, 5th and 6th grades. There were a few that had been there before and the boy who won was there for his 3rd time. We think he deserved it; he knew that spelling list backwards and forwards. The runner-up was the spelling champ from last year and those last 3 boys were amazing. Brittany got out on the word "pinioned" after 3 rounds. We had counted down from the list the moderator was using and we thought she'd get the word pigment which was great, but they ended up throwing out a word because of a pronunciation problem right before her turn and she ended up with pinioned. I can't even remember going over that word and she was so close, but close doesn't really count. Her principal was so cute. He came up to her after she got her trophy and said, "I didn't even know that was a word." I'm pretty sure she'll remember how to spell that word from now on. :)
We're really proud of her and she had a great experience and I actually think she's relieved. I know she was getting tired of dragging that list with her everywhere and trying to fit in a little studying here and there. I know she wants to get back to studying for the Battle of the Books because I'm sure she has missed her reading time. Thanks for your sweet messages and for wishing her luck! She did her best and that's what she wanted to do. We're so proud of her and it was a fun thing for all of us. Bailey is thinking she might give it a try next year too and we think that will be great. They can study together because they can both participate. That'll work out good for us because Cody and I were having to look up how to pronunciate some of the words on the list. You should see some of the words on that list! It was fun spending time studying with her and today I surprised her and took her to lunch and we used the extra time to study a little more. It was a lot of work, but it was also a lot of quality time and it's great to have extra time like that every once in a while. It's fun to have opportunities like this and it's great to see your children try new things and succeed. We know there are many more exciting and wonderful things to come....

5 comments:
Way to go Brittany!!
I used to be a pretty good speller back in the day and took 3rd one time. It was fun. Keep up the good work. I wish I still had the same skills but alas..not so. I find myself changing what I want to say because I can't remember how to spell it. I'll bet you'll get lots of high fives tommar... .tommoro..... toomarow... ...next week.
Great Job Brittany. Shari, I do the same thing. How sad. I use to be such a great speller too. Maybe motherhood makes us forget? Or I'm just an airhead.
YEAH Brittany! Wow is all I can say! Way to go... I can't believe how hard you studied and worked!! Take a break, have a "late-over" with your friends (as my kids call them these days).... or maybe have your DAD give you a pedicure! You deserve it!!! Whew!
That's awesome! I've seen that list and it's tough!
So I just got home from chocolate making and got on and had to check you out. You're so full of it! Didn't you say you don't know what you're doing? Too bad your blog is like the cutest! With the cute picture up top... I'll be back to read later-- happy to find you.
Post a Comment