Sunday, May 31, 2009

Pinewood Derby....Girl Style

Isn't this the cutest car? Okay, so it was our first experience making a pinewood derby car and I have to say that I think our car was the cutest.....was it the fastest? No, but it IS pretty cute. :) The Activity Day girls had the opportunity to participate in the Pinewood Derby at the Date Festival this year. The girls wanted to give it a try and Cody, being the good dad that he is, decided to give it a try too. He never did the Pinewood Derby as a kid so we didn't know there was so much to do and so much to learn. I guess you can't just buy a kit and throw it together the day before the race and tape quarters underneath for weight and expect it to go. Note to self....remember that for next year! But did I mention that it was really cute? Anyway, the girls came in last but the cutest thing was that Brit called me and was really excited and said, "Mom, guess what place we came in?" and I, thinking maybe their 1 day of hard work paid off, got a little excited and asked, "What place?" and she said, "dead last." and just started laughing. It was fun to see that they really had a good time and it was all about spending time with Cody and doing the project together and cheering on the other girls! One of the girls from their group won the whole thing and they were competing against the boys....Girl Power! It was a good experience and they have such a great dad....you really are their hero! Thanks for building such a cute car! :)
This is our car.....

I guess they were supposed to race this close.....who knew?

It was so fun to watch them and they did put a lot of time into sanding it and painting it! Good job guys! It looked great! We'll get 'em next year!

10 comments:

Hayley said...

It's pretty cool that the kiddos are so good in the sportsmanship department! And thanks for the update, it took me forever to read through this and the birthday posts! I need something to do now that I'm couch ridden.

Glad you're well, and Mom says hi!

The Mighty Quinns said...

What a fun activity for the girls! Our car never wins either, but they have a lot of fun building them.
Our ward just did this with our Achievement Day Girls, too!

Miriam said...

That is a great idea!! We still have some of the boys' cars. I've never seen one with a person in it. Trust girls to be creative.

Audry said...

It is very cute. How fun for the girls to get to do that.

Ryan Smart said...

Must be in the gene's. I didn't allow anyone to help me with my "car" I don't even think I shaped it, just painted it myself...it didn't look nearly as cool as yours-it really should have been a short bus if you know what I mean. Love your family! Thanks for posting!

Kim said...

That is cute. It's a good lookin' car, which to me is just as important as being "fast." There's an entire science devoted to building Pinewood Derby Cars, but I think there's a lot of luck involved too.

Lillie said...

I've been meaning to ask you if everything came back on your blog... I'm so happy to see you're up and running!!!

erika said...

Are you still planning to come to my neck of the woods? I'm excited to see you again!

Jennifer said...

Jenie, it was so great to see you and your cute family tonight! I just loved seeing Brittany go up there and receive her awards! She is such a doll, and such an inspiration. When the teacher read that first thing about her, I nearly cried. I'm sure you were. I hope you blog it all and include what was said, it's very admirable! I'm so glad that Dallin has some good kids around him that let their light shine. Seriously, it is so wonderful! I'm just feeling all happy and I'm glad that Brittany is staying at Paige!

Trish said...

Holy COW! The is the coolest pinewood derby car I have ever seen! Don't let Parker see it! I miss you lots.