Sunday, June 22, 2008

Why You Should Wear Sunblock!

Okay, so this is not a flattering picture at all, but I thought I'd just throw it in as a reminder that I'm not ready to do anything like this again for a while. I had a couple of spots on my nose that I was concerned about so I went to the dermatologist and they were able to just freeze one of them off right in the office, but he was concerned about the other one so he shaved it off and sent it to be biopsied. I called the office a couple of weeks later to see what the results were and they asked me to come in the next day so they could cut it out because the biopsy had come back positive. It was basal cell carcinoma, so that's the most common type of skin cancer, but they needed to get it out.

I went into the office the next day and it looked like a M*A*S*H unit. Everyone was walking around with bandages all over their faces and heads and necks. It looked like everyone had fought the good fight and lost. It made me a little nervous, but after I went in the first time, I came out with my big gauze bandage over my nose and felt like part of the group. I met some really fun people while I was there so my 6 hour trip to the dermatologist was at least pleasant. They had to dig twice to get it all so that wasn't fun and then I had to wait 2 hours for them to stitch it up. It was a really long day, but they did get it all and I ended up with a really cool bandage that made me look like I belonged in Phantom of the Opera. The only thing that really scared me a little is this same thing happened to my mom and she actually ended up with Melanoma so I guess the moral of the story is, time to wear my sunblock. I'm pretty good about it now, but I guess all of those years of laying out on my trampoline, slathered with tanning oil is catching up with me. I was definitely the youngest one in the office so I guess it's either be a good girl or look forward to more fun trips to the dermatologist. I think I'll be good!

Thanks to my sweet friends who bailed me out for this whole day! Cody had a job in San Diego so Roxanne took Avery & Carson for the whole day and Dayna brought Brit & Bai home from school and kept them at her house. Shari helped me get my house cleaned up for Tom and Niki's visit and I know I wouldn't have made it without all of them! I have such wonderful friends down here and I love them all! Thanks for all of your help and for making it all bearable! Don't know what I'd do without you! I need to take a picture of the end result though, because I got the stitches out this last Wednesday and it looks great! They did know what they were doing after all!



No comments: