Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Happy Birthday, Grandma!

These pictures were actually from Camp 2006. This was kind of our version of "how many clowns can you get in a Volkswagen?" I think we could've added a few more on here. This is how I'll forever remember my Grandma and Grandpa....this is where they loved to be. They had to give up their horses this last year because they were getting to be too much and it makes me cry to think of it because it must have been a very sad day for them. They've never been without horses so this is a memory I want to keep!
My Grandma and Grandpa with my brother
Grandma and my dad - isn't she cute?

Today is my Grandma Smart's 90th birthday! Our family had a fun open house for her on Saturday back in Utah and of course, we missed it! I've been thinking about her all day and I'm just amazed at her life and what she's been able to accomplish and what she's been able to witness in her life. They had 8 children and they have 36 grandchildren and even more great-grandchildren and getting together is a lot of fun but it went from being in their cute, little house in Sandy to the cultural hall of the church. I have such wonderful memories growing up of fun times with Grandma and Grandpa. We've been going camping with them since before most of us cousins were born (I think over 40 years) and those are the best memories. That's where we really got to know our cousins, play with them, ride horses and wreck motorcycles and 3-wheelers and stuff. :) Now, that we're all grown, our kids play together and get to know each other and it's the cutest thing you've ever seen. I never missed a year until this last year and it just about killed me. Our kids were so disappointed and I vowed to make an extra effort this year to make it up there for a few days. I don't want to get to a point that I'm going to have to reintroduce our kids to their cousins. We have a big family, but we've always been pretty close and I love getting together with them and I hope my kids will grow up the same way. My Grandma has always gotten a big kick out of seeing all of us together and I know that's what she'll be expecting and wanting and I'm not about to disappoint her. We love you Grandma! Happy 90th Birthday!

11 comments:

Tom and Niki said...

That's a neat tribute to a great lady! I love the pictures. Of course we missed you and your cute family. It was fun, but we still couldn't get anyone to confess carving "Ray is pig" under the piano bench. It must have been David. So really the only thing you missed was Studley's carrot cake, oh and you probably haven't had Michelle's cookies in a while, and Jeniel's cake and Susan's great salad, yeah there was a lot of good food. I know what you mean about camp, my kids would kill me if we didn't go. I'm glad to hear you'll be coming this year and guess what, there will be more great food! Oh yeah and family is always good too.

Jerry said...

Hey Jenie, Those are some great pictures. It's hard to believe that Grandma is 90. It seems like just yesterday that we riding motorcycles and horses as kids. I think you are right about the 40 years. It's been going on as long as I can remember and I will be 43 this year.

I decided to create a blog after Kim did it. You can check it out at Smart Photos

We love the pictures of your family. Keep them coming...

Audry said...

Wow, 90. That's something to celebrate. I had a great-grandma who lived to be 102.

Alysa@atticgals.blogspot.com said...

I thought this blog was so sweet. What righteous tradition can I start that will keep the family together? I hope to have my own family like this. What a joy your grandmother must have in her posterity. So sweet!

Kim said...

Your Grandma and Grandpa are getting older, (as we all are), and I know that your Grandma is dealing with some dementia issues, but they really have aged very well. It's pretty amazing that two people nearly 90 (in those camp pics) are riding horses, four-wheelers and camping. They/your family has been blessed. I think about my Grandma all the time and I miss her so much...You are so fortunate they are still around.

mmpete said...

That song along with those pictures made me cry! But everyone knows that I'm an "Emotional Girl"! I'm happy to hear you'll be coming to camp, those are some great memories. I can still see Janis running up the hill with the first aid kit! Love ya- Michelle

Shannan said...

That is so amazing that she is 90. It is so hard missing milestones like that with your family. Especially when you are usually there. I worry about the same thing, where my kids won't know their grandparents and cousins. I guess we just do the best we can. That is so neat to see how much you love your grandma. She sounds like a great lady.

shannon said...

That pic on the 4-wheeler cracks me up, it makes me want to get up there now. We always have so much fun at camp, so glad your coming this year. Are you serious about the Tooele 5k on the 4th cuz I'm game if you are.

Kandis Mortensen said...

Thanks for the camp pics! I'm thinking about having everyone email their favorite camp memories and posting in on the Smart blog--do you thing our huge family will go for it? Hope you're doing well! love you!

Alysa@atticgals.blogspot.com said...

We NEED AN UPDATE!! ARE YOU BUSY OR SOMETHING? :)

Sydney and Griffin said...

Hi Jenie!! I finally found your blog! I was so excited :)

Of course I had to go all the way back to the beginning and see all the cute pics of your darling kids! It made me miss you guys so much...

I was also super excited to stumble across this awesome picture of Garrett at family camp... Gotta love those awkward years.. I got a good laugh out of it! Hope you guys are doing great!!