Sunday, August 2, 2009

Father's Day 2009 (Long Post)

I can't let this one slide by.....I'll kind of include this as our Anniversary post too because I, of course, missed it. It was our 14th anniversary in March and we've been together for 16 years. I didn't actually miss our anniversary, just the post. :) He's a wonderful husband and he's the best father to our kids. I've loved him since he kissed me on our 2nd date (don't judge me...have you seen him?) :) I had dated a lot up at school and had just decided that I was going to take the summer off. I was tired of trying to figure out "where things were headed" because that's what the guys kept asking me. I was going to relax and hang out with my friends and regroup. That summer I went home to start my fun, free, no commitment summer and we found out my mom had cancer. I was devastated and we were getting ready for her to come home from the hospital after major surgery when Cody called. It was completely out of the blue and he told me that he had heard about my mom and was sorry and wanted to let me know that he would be around and would like to take me out when I was feeling better.
We were friends all through high school but had never dated. He was one of the nicest guys I knew and I always thought he was pretty hot but we never really had the opportunity to date back then because of other relationships. I was really impressed by that phone call and his grandpa had died of colon cancer so he knew a thing or two about what we would be going through. My aunt Judy happened to be at our house that night and said I should get out....I had been back and forth to the hospital and she said I should take her convertible Mustang and go for a ride.....OKAY! My friend and I hopped in her car and went to drag main for a while. Anyone from a small town will understand....you start at McDonald's and cruise down through town and turn around at 7-11 and go back up. Everyone used to hang out on main street so when we saw anyone that looked interesting, we stopped and visited. My mom hated the whole concept, but it was a lot of fun. :) That night we pulled over to talk to Cody and his group of friends and we took him for a ride and that was pretty much it. I know....hanging on main street, picking him up, you're wondering what kind of a girl I was, but it was the best thing I ever did. We saw each other a couple of nights later and he asked me out for the 4th of July and that pretty much sealed the deal. We saw each other every night after that and the rest is history. The best thing about it is we started as friends and every day we spent together, it grew into something really amazing.....it still is amazing!
He was so sweet to my family and took very good care of my mom. She absolutely loved him....I hadn't chosen very few "acceptable" boyfriends in the past, so she was ecstatic. We dated for quite a while and I have to say, it was probably very challenging for him. I wanted to spend as much as I could at home with my mom and he was completely okay with that. He knew that it was important to me and I was so grateful to have him there. I remember one night that I was cleaning up dinner and hadn't seen him for a while and I walked upstairs to my mom's room and he was laying on the bed with her just talking. I can't tell you how much it meant to have him in my life....he is the same way with me and has taken good care of me. We've been through a lot together and I know that his call was something I'll always be grateful for because I don't think I could've made it without him. Okay, got a little deep, but I hope my kids will always know how much I love their dad. He is so much fun....we've needed a lot of laughter in our home and he's always there to provide it. My brothers and sisters love having him around because he always comes up with something funny to do or say. I love that about him.....okay, okay, I just love him!
Watching him with our kids is so much fun! They absolutely adore him and they all run to the door when he walks through it. They all come to his side of the bed if there's a problem in the middle of the night because they know he won't kick them out and he'll snuggle them up next to him and put them back to sleep. He has always been a huge help to me....if there's something that needs to be done; he does it. He is there for everything that they do. He also loves his family and extended family and would do anything for them. I have always appreciated the close family that he came from because we've had so much fun with both of our families and we know that family is the most important thing. I could go on and on, but just know that your family loves you, Cody! We think the world of you and hope you know how much you mean to all of us. Thanks for always being there and for taking such good care of all of us. We love you!
Fathers Day 2009
This was so cute...they were laying on the trampoline and she must have been very tired. She has always loved to snuggle with her dad.
Carson is his dad's boy! He has looked like him from the day he was born and he loves spending any time with him he can get. Cody takes him to work with him every once in a while and it's a highlight for Carson. Anytime with dad is good time!
I love this picture!! He looks like SuperDad! We were at the softball park on closing day and I went over to get the girls where they needed to be and he cleaned up everything and headed over.....with chairs slung over his back, the diaper bag, the stroller, Avery and of course the cotton candy....and he looks great doing it! :)

4 comments:

Hayley said...

That was probably one of the best 'how we met' stories I've ever heard. Thanks for sharing.

Kim said...

He is a cutie. You are a lucky girl!

Gwen said...

That is such a sweet story, thanks for sharing!

Rachelle@atticgals.blogspot.com said...

Awesome! Thanks heaven for good husbands and fathers! You got a good one there!